TWO NIGHT MINIMUM
If you are looking for somewhere special to stay in one of the most ruggedly beautiful areas of Tasmania look no further than Wildwood Retreat
Wildwood Retreat is new on the rental market and is a beautifully appointed fully self contained one bed luxury two storey retreat that offers city comfort in a stunning rural setting
Wildwood retreat lies in its own private kingdom surrounded by 50 acres of pristine native Eucalypt forest in the bucolic idyll of Koonya that lies on the banks of cascade Bay on the spectacular Tasman Peninsula. Koonya is on the Port Arthur tourist route off the Arthur Highway and is perfectly located to access tourist attractions.
The retreat enjoys breathtaking views over rolling pasture to Cascade Bay and Norfolk Inlet with mountain backdrop. A ‘perfect picture box scene’ where the light and mood changes constantly
The retreat adjoins Wildwood our home BUT the retreat is fully self contained and enjoys its own private driveway, garden area and entry so that guests have total privacy and can come and go as they please.
The retreat bedroom is extremely spacious with floor to ceiling windows and stunning views towards Norfolk Inlet over rolling pasture. There is a Kingsize Bed and BIR. The bedroom also has a generous sized contemporary ensuite with free standing bath, walk in shower and underfloor heating, quality towels. A hairdryer and two robes are also provided.
There is a beautiful modern stainless steel and timber spiral staircase in the retreat lobby/entry area that leads guests up to the spacious and comfortable contemporary open plan living/kitchen/dining area on the second level.
The upper level living area has floor to ceiling windows that offer spectacular views of pasture, pristine forest and Cascade Bay in the near distance. Guests will feel as if they are literally floating amongst the treetops – a perfect place to relax, de-stress and commune with nature
The kitchen has stone bench tops, quality stainless steel appliances including a Smeg Oven and cooktop, a coffee machine, fridge/freezer, microwave and dishwasher.
The kitchen is extremely well equipped and the pantry is bursting with provisions including quality coffee and tea plus a generous range of pantry basics.
The open plan living/kitchen/dining area has dining seating for up to 4 guests and a two 2 1/2 seater sofas one of which is a sofa bed double. There is a flat screen TV and DVD and Bose Music system with i-pod dock, plus a DVD library, magazines and a small selection of games and books.
Wildwood Retreat also offers free Wi-Fi. Quality towels and Linen are supplied. Original art works also feature at the property.
Wildwood Retreat enjoys a 7 star energy rating. The property is clad on the exterior in stunning spotted gum sourced sustainably interstate. Its entry door is bespoke and has been constructed using recycled timbers.
Prolific bird and wildlife can be viewed direct from the property.
Guests are invited to bring their own provisions as the property has its own kitchen and cooking facilities we also provide pantry basics such as herbs, oil, sugar, coffee, teas and a selection of sauces plus a few other random extras. However a breakfast hamper may be available subject to availability at an extra cost conditions apply.
The retreat is not suitable for people with wheelchairs we are so sorry as the land is steep and the retreat has a spiral staircase. The area around the immediate property is relatively flat, however beyond the garden area the land is steep, the ground uneven, there is an open dam, unfenced stone terraces and stone steps to negotiate.
THINGS TO DO ….
Wildwood Retreat is situated in a beautiful and private rural/wilderness location. Koonya lies on the Port Arthur Tourist route and is about a 15 minute drive to both Port Arthur and Eagle Hawk Neck and local facilities in Nubeena. Koonya is central to accessing ALL activities and facilities.
Many tourists choose to just do a day tour to Port Arthur Historic Site and they miss out hugely for there are many wonderful things to do here on the Tasman Peninsula. Here are some of my suggestions:
1. Visit Port Arthur Historic Site perhaps even a ghost tour
2. Visit the Coal Mines Historic Site at Saltwater River … its much smaller than Port Arthur but is also interesting and free and is in a beautiful location
3. Take an award winning boat trip with Pennicott Wilderness Tours that explores the coast from Eaglehawk Neck to Tasman Island: see seal colonies, giant kelp forests, whales in season, albatross, sea eagles, the famous Totem Pole and the highest cliffs in the southern hemisphere.
4. Visit Port Arthur Lavender: browse the gift shop, then have a spot of lunch whilst enjoying stunning views of the inlet
5. Take a class at or visit the award-winning Mchenry Distillery at Port Arthur
6.. Take lunch at Garbielle’s on the Bay at Taylor, Port Arthur OR award-winning Dunalley Waterfront Cafe and Gallery a 30 min drive away
7. Explore Pirates Bay and other sites at Eaglehawk Neck including the rare geological formation of the Tesselated pavements, the convict ‘Dog Line’ and Officers quarters museum. Drive through the quirky doo town on your way to see the Devils Arch, Waterfall look out and the Blow Hole or enjoy some of the best fish and chips in Tasmania at “Doolishus”.
8. Explore Tasman National Park – including the beautiful Fortescue Bay a large section of the Three Capes Walking Track offering sensational walks and views 2 phases now complete.
9. Explore the many coves and beaches on the peninsula including Safety Cove, Remarkable Caves, Stewarts Bay, Lime Bay and Sloping Main.
10. Enjoy some deep sea fishing or diving amongst the giant sea kelp forests
11. Para glide from the aerie at EagleHawk Neck – where many visitors and locals have seen subject to the right conditions the southern lights
12. Visit the Tasmanian Devil Park, Fudge Factory and local museum in Taranna
13. Just sit back, relax and de-stress with a glass of wine whilst enjoying the stunning views from the property …bliss
Wildwood Retreat is in Koonya on the Tasman Peninsula in South East Tasmania, approximately one hour from Hobart airport and one hour and twenty minutes SE of Hobart.
The Tasman Peninsula is one of the most beautiful and rugged areas of Tasmania – with the highest sea cliffs in the southern hemisphere. It is considered a remote rural location however certainly not remote by Western Australia or Northern Territory standards
There is a doctor surgery in Nubeena and a Chemist. There is also a fabulous store in Preymedena where you can also get petrol. Nubeena also has a garage. There are two small IGA supermarkets in the area, one in Nubeena and the other at White Beach, both within 9-11 km’s of the property. The Preymadena store is 7km’s away.
TWO NIGHT MINIMUM
CHECKING IN & OUT
Check-in from 2pm and check-out by 11am
This property has a standard rate of: $200
Cleaning Fee: $40 p/s
Double Sofa Bed: $70 p/n
GETTING THERE AND DISTANCES
Wildwood Luxury Retreat is 101 Kms from Port Arthur